Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket

Sunday, 19 April 2009

Knowing Review

http://chud.com/articles/content_images/5/knowingposter.jpg

PLOT:
A teacher opens a time capsule that has been dug up at his son's elementary school; in it are some chilling predictions -- some that have already occurred and others that are about to -- that lead him to believe his family plays a role in the events that are about to unfold. (IMDB)

_________________________________

Knowing was the kind of movie that kinda sounds cool on paper but you're unsure of on film. I wasn't really sure what to expect and I kinda thought the premise of the film was a little too farfetched, even if it was a sci-fi/thriller/horror(?) movie. That was the one main drawback of this film; it didn't know what genre it wanted to be. Certainly at times it felt like a mystery thriller intertwined with some sci-fi while at the same time having a few elements of scare in there (the latter of which wasn't really scary at all). I wasn't too sure what I was watching cause Knowing seemed to be kinda all over the place.

I do admit though, it was a pretty enjoyable watch...for about the first hour or so. Watching Nicholas Cage's character, John, accidentally finding out the predictions and running around trying to stop future predictions from happening was quite fun to watch. Seeing him run off to New York to try and stop a disaster from occuring was kinda entertaining. But most of this, unfortunately, is only in the first half.

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/knowingfirstphoto.jpg

As the movie slowly goes along, it starts to get a little more ridiculous and kinda unbearable to watch. I almost fell asleep during a few scenes...yeah that bad. It also didn't help that the subplots dragged the movie down...a lot. I felt that the relationship between John and his father wasn't really necessary, nor was Diana's (Rose Byrne) mother's backstory. The subplots really bogged the movie down, in my opinion, and could've been replaced with more scenery of horrific events.

The movie itself went on for a while too. I hadn't expected it to be 2 hours long but it was. So the first hour was great but the second hour really fell short. This could've been a pretty good disastar-type movie but the subplots and pacing sorta stopped this from happening. Coming from Alex Proyas (directed It,Robo and The Crow), I didn't think pacing would be such a problem.

http://www.timeoutsydney.com.au/film/reviews/large-knowing.jpg

At first, I really didn't like John. I mean, to me, it was kinda hard to like the guy even if he was projected as a good father. It was probably just me but within the first half hour, I really didn't like his character. As the movie progressed though, I came to accept him. Cage did a pretty good job in this movie...wish I could say the same for the rest of the cast (save John's son, Caleb, played by 11 Chandler Canterbury). Rose Byrne was kinda medicore in this movie...I didn't believe her when she was yelling for her daughter and wanting her back.

It's not all bad though. One thing I give Alex Proyas credit for is the fact that he disguised Melbourne to look like Boston. I didn't realise this movie was shot entirely in Melbourne.

While this wasn't the most entertaining movie, it's stil kinda watchable. I liked watching John and Caleb's interaction together and the first somewhat intense hour of the film but due to somewhat slow (not too slow, but slow enough for me to criticise) pacing and pointless subplots, and genre identification issues, the movie gets a score that it shouldn't have gotten if these things were rectified.

Knowing recieves a 2/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment