Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket

Thursday, 9 April 2009

Let The Flames Begin

Ooooooooh! My first blog in my brand new blogging home! Gone are the days of MySpace. I like the feel of this site. Now I have to learn some HTML to try and really customise this place and make it feel really...me. :D

Anyways, it feels good to blog again. I haven't blogged in a while and really don't know how I should kick things off. I can't really recap the week or anything since were only halfway through and there's no point in dwelling on the past weeks where I haven't blogged...

Let's just talk about what happened today!

So I woke up at about 11 and did my usual morning rituals. I downloaded a few episodes of South Park to my PSP that morning and got ready to go watch Shinjuku Incident with James and Jack. Stayed at home till about 12 30, which was when I left and headed for the city.

While I was making my way to Melbourne Central, I bumped into Julia and we exchanged a few words before we had to part. Just as Julia had left though, Eric snuck up on me and surprised me. I asked what he was doing in the city and he replied that he was going to go see a movie and he said that he was watching the same one as me. He then later revealed that he was asked by James to come along and watch it. The more the merrier, hey? :D

Anyways, prior to actually going into the cinema, the four of us went crazy with snacks and bought a heap of food. If memory serves me right, we bought two Nando's Seriously Large Peri-Peri Chips, two Pringles, marshmellows, Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate, a bottle of Lemonade and another bottle of Saspirilla. We brought these into the theatre and it was just funny seeing us pigging out and leaving food everywhere. We cleaned up after ourselves of course. :D

Now onto the movie itself.

File:ShinjukuIncidentPoster.jpg

PLOT:
A Chinese immigrant, Steelhead (Jackie Chan), flees to Japan in search of his love Xiu Xiu (Xu Jinglei). He meets another immigrant, Jie (Daniel Wu), in Tokyo's business district of Shinjuku where Jie offers Steelhead a few manual labouring jobs to earn money. Steelhead finds that his former love is married to a yakuza leader named Eguchi and after inadvertently saving Eguchi's life, Steelhead forms an alliance with the yakuza leader in order to liberate the Chinese.

I thought the movie was pretty well made and was a pretty entertaining watch. I did feel at times that it sorta dragged and that the flashbacks were random but overall it was a very entertaining experience. I guess what really made it entertaining was the fact that you saw Jackie Chan break away from his regular "Mr Nice Guy" role and actually attempt to do something a lot more serious and darker. Chan tries really hard to come across as a man with everything to lose while at the same time tries to maintain the character's purity. He tries so hard to be serious with his acting that I don't remember seeing him really smile in the movie. He does however do a good job and comes away with a worthy performance. Not a spectacular or wonderful performance though...just worthy.

The supporting cast were alright, but Daniel Wu's conflicted character, Jie stood out from them.

One of the reasons why I wanted to watch this film (other than seeing Chan try do something a lot different) was that it was banned in China due to the violence and depiction of Chinese immigrants. The notireity of the movie made me want to go watch it. The violence was pretty confronting but wasn't terribly extreme (society's so sensitised to violence now).

All in all, a very entertaining watch (especially if you're a Jackie Chan fan) and if you like gangster films, this is probably for you too. I give it 3.5 out of 5.

Seems like a fairly good way to kick start my new blog. Generally my blogs will just be movie reviews, news and a few random musings about me and my life.

So with that, I sign off. BYE!

No comments:

Post a Comment