Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket

Monday, 13 April 2009

Monsters vs Aliens Review



PLOT: When a meteorite from outer space hits a young California girl named Susan Murphy and turns her into a giant monster, she is taken to a secret government compound where she meets a ragtag group of monsters also rounded up over the years. As a last resort, under the guidance of General W.R. Monger, on a desperate order from The President, the motley crew of Monsters is called into action to combat the aliens and save the world from imminent destruction! (IMDB)

_____________________________________


When I heard about this movie, I thought it sounded cool. With a straightforward and somewhat cool sounding title, it had caught my attention. Then I found out it had a pretty nice line up of voices with Reese Witherspoon, Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen, Hugh Laurie and Kiefer Sutherland lending their voice talent to the animated feature. So did Dreamwork's new animated feature, Monsters vs Aliens, make me think it was cool? Yes, yes it did.

From what I understand, this movie was basically an homage to a lot of B-grade sci fi/horror movies made back in the 50s (such as War of the Worlds, Invasion of the Body Snatchers etc). I could sorta tell that they paid homage to these films but because I had no real exposure to these movies, I didn't really understand it. However, as this is an animated feature and kids are sure to watch it (with a name like Monsters vs Aliens, what kid wouldn't wanna watch it?) it still worked in that sense.



What I really enjoyed in this movie were the wonderful voice talent, most notably Seth Rogen as Benzoate-Ostylezene-Bicarbonate (or B.O.B for short) and Kiefer Sutherland as General W.R Monger. Rogen's voice and personality practically was perfect for an animated character and I couldn't help but chuckle whenever I heard Rogen's all too familiar stoner-like laugh. Kiefer Sutherland on the other hand was almost unrecognisable; I had to look up the movie to find out it was freaken Jack Bauer! I normally like Paul Rudd but in this movie his character, Derek, was a bit of a prick. How could Susan/Ginormica (Reese Witherspoon's character) want to go back to that jerk? I understand she wanted to have her normal life back but it was pretty apparent to her and to the audience that Derek was a prick. I also found it funny that they cast Stephen Colbert as the President of the United States (given Colbert's right wing nature).

The action scenes were pretty exciting to watch and the movie was funny as well. It wasn't terribly hilarious or anything but it was very humourous and entertaining. The reason why it's funny is mostly due to the comedic talent (Witherspoon having worked on Legally Blonde; Rogen and Rudd having worked together on Knocked Up as well as various other Apatow productions; Will Arnett for having worked on Arrested Development; Hugh Laurie for previously being a comedian before his work in the United States).



The dialogue wasn't too witty to make kids confused but witty enough to deliver laughs for everyone. It was very straight-forward and being that it's a kids film, there's always some sort of message left behind by the end of the film.

Overall I thought it was a pretty entertaining and funny film. I wouldn't be surprised to see a sequel from this because the characters are lovable and lively and also because they can always add new monsters or aliens to the mix. According to boxofficemojo.com, Monsters vs Aliens has made approximately $187,909,510 worldwide and with numbers like that, I'm sure Dreamworks are already trying to find a writer for a sequel.

Monsters vs Aliens recieves a 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment