Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket

Friday, 10 April 2009

X-Men Origins: Wolverine Review

Before I start writing I'd just like to say that right now I'm feeling terribly lethargic. I kinda slept through the last few minutes of Appleseed (not that it was a bad movie, just I was too comfortable in bed and hadn't had enough sleep). So if my writing seems sloppy or dreary, you know why. :D


PLOT: Set roughly twenty years before X-Men, the film focuses on Wolverine's violent past, and his early encounters with William Stryker. The Weapon X program and his interactions with other mutants are explored, including his relationship with his half-brother, Victor Creed. (Wikipedia)

______________________________

Well, I'm sure most of us have already heard about the Wolverine movie being leaked across the internet. The leaked workprint wasn't actually finished however. A few scenes here and there weren't manipulated with CGI and wirework hadn't been erased but as ridiculous as it was, it really didn't get in the way of my viewing experience. I got this movie not from the internet but rather from my mother who was in Vietnam for two weeks and had come back last week. She had a pirated copy of it. Really makes me think that perhaps the workprint was leaked a while ago but only started picking up last week.

In any case, I watched the movie and here is what I thought.

http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/wolverine-big.jpg

I always like to assess the dialogue of a film because, in my opinion, it's the dialogue that really makes up the film.
Without a script, directors won't have anything to work on and actor's are practically out of the job. So how does the script fare? Well as far as comic book movies go, the narrative is pretty straightforward and linear (like most action blockbusters). I didn't expect it to be the "be all and end all" of all comic book movies (that right is reserved for either The Dark Knight or Watchmen) but like most comic book movies, it's made purely for entertainment and box office revenue.

The story flows pretty nicely and as the title of the movie suggests, the spotlight is on Wolverine. I would've liked to have seen more character development from the other mutants in Wolverine's team because they're really outstanding characters in my opinion. I think they mishandled the mutants in the movie and practically put them in there for fan service. The only real characters that had development in the story were Logan/Wolverine, Creed/Sabertooth, and Stryker. I guess with big name mutants like Gambit and Deadpool, they draw in more of the comic book fans.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/still/wolverine10.jpg

Hugh Jackman is practically the full embodiment of Wolverine in my opinion. I can't imagine anyone else playing him as well as Jackman has. Liev Schreiber was pretty average as Sabertooth but then again, Sabertooth is pretty average himself. Ryan Reynolds, for whatver amount of screen time and dialogue he had, was great as Deadpool. The rest of the supporting cast (Daniel Henney, Will.I.Am, Danny Huston, Lynn Collins) served their purpose for the film and it's understandable as to why their roles are short. I love Gambit but I didn't like Taylor Kitsch as the Cajun. However, as much as I would've liked to have seen a little more character development from other mutants, the movie is called X-Men Origins: Wolverine so yes, it achieves it's point by explaining Wolverine's story (then again, all the X-Men movies were about Wolverine).

I really can't comment on the special effects since some of them weren't finished but I'd imagine for a film like this, I need not worry about the effects and can expect them to be in great form. Speaking of great form, Hugh Jackman really put on the pounds for this role. I think he's more buff in this film than any other previous X-Men film (or any other Hugh Jackman related film). All of a sudden I feel envious and depressed.

'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
It's no secret I have a love-hate relationship with Ryan Reynolds. :@

X-Men Origins: Wolverine is basically your standard blockbuster comic book action movie. The story is simple and straightforward enough for any movie-goer to understand, action is pretty spot on and entertaining and while it's probably not the best X-Men movie (I say X-2 was the best out of the 4) it's still entertaining enough to watch. I'm not a die-hard X-men fan so I didn't see many flaws in the mutants (other than Gambit) so I can't compare this to the original source. I didn't like the handling of other mutants and wished more development was made for certain characters but despite this, the movie came off looking..alright.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine recieves a 3/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment