Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket

Wednesday, 6 May 2009

Small Talk

http://pulpfiction.no.sapo.pt/mia%20and%20vincent.jpg

Mia: Don't you hate that?
Vincent: What?
Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshit in order to be comfortable?
Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody special. When you can just shut the fuck up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence.
________________________________________

I've had another random thought come across me the other day which I feel like sharing here. I told Thy that I kinda hated the idea of small talk and had a little rant on it. It was a quaint discussion (I mostly talked through it actually) and I was really hating on the idea of small talk. Don't get me wrong; I don't hate small talk altogether because I understand that you need to raise a few things in order to make the situation less awkward. However, I hate when someone feels compelled to ask you something and feign interest in their question and halfway through your explanation/answer, they just shut off, not pay attention and just look away. By the time your done speaking, they give you a fake, uneasy smile and pretend like they cared what you had to say. Then it's back to silence and awkwardness.

Maybe it's just me, but I tend to get a negative vibe whenever someone starts small talk (not always of course, but just when the certain small talk topic/question is, in itself, rather questionable). Hell, when I start small talk (very hypocritical right here) I just feel stupid because I've said something really blunt that doesn't go anywhere and just ends up making everything more strange. I just hate when the thing that's asked or raised is just blunt and obvious and isn't really a topic of discussion if one person has no care whatsoever for what the other person is saying.

I understand that people are at least trying to make the effort to communicate (and in that contrast, I guess small talk can be a good thing) but it's just if they asked me something that was close ended, blunt and quite frankly, something that they have no interest or care in...then I'd just have a feeling of disdain for 'em.

Just wanted to rant about something; anything. Not everyone's gonna think the same as me, of course, but feel free to drop a comment and discuss. :P

1 comment:

  1. I love it when silences aren't awkward anymore with someone, but when it is I suppose I try and conduct a conversation because I feel guilty *shrug*.

    haha.

    After people read this, they're going to think twice before talking to you.

    ReplyDelete