Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket

Thursday, 7 May 2009

My Top 10 Winter Blockbusters for 2009

As the days crawl ever so close to my favourite season, Winter, so does my anticipation for this year's box office heavyweights. The States like to call these movies their Summer blockbusters but because we live all the way down here, I've just changed Summer to Winter. I've compiled a list of the top 10 movies that I'm exicted about that's coming this Winter. Of course, not everyone's going to agree with me and will have their own list of Top 10 movies but without further adieu, I present my top 10 anticpiations.

___________________________________

1. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

[TF2OptimusPrimePoster.jpg]

Because it's super awesome fun and who doesn't love seeing a car transform into a fighting robot! The first movie was a blast and great fun to watch and I don't doubt that this next installment will be any different. I'd imagine it to be ten times better than the first because it seems the production on this is pretty crazy. Also, they explore different locales, so it'll be fun to see them travel the world.


2. Public Enemies

http://www.costumzee.com/view/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/public-enemies-poster-depp.jpg

Johnny Depp and Christian Bale; 'nuff said. These two names alone probably are gonna draw people into the cinema. Along with Michael Mann's direction (Ali, Collateral) this film should deliver. Not only that but it's got a pretty damn good story that's based on the life of John Dillinger, America's first public enemy (at least to my knowledge). Probably the only movie in this list that'll probably get some Oscar attention for 2010.


3. Inglorious Basterds

Brad Pitt and a bunch of Jews scalping Nazis. Yes, please. As crazy and over the top the plot may be, it's a Quentin Tarintino movie so it's kind of expected. It would seem that this project has been some of the best writing Tarintino has done in a very long while. Early reports state that there's a bit of Reservoir Dogs (another QT film) mixed in. I love a lot of Tarintino's work and Inglorious Basterds looks like it'll be hella fun (expect to see a bunch of violence because violence against Nazis and doesn't offend anyone!). The film will have it's world premiere at Cannes Film Festival this month.


4. Terminator Salvation

http://www.reelmovienews.com/images/gallery/new-terminator-salvation-poster.png

Christian Bale seems to be everywhere now. I mean he was a well established actor way before Batman Begins and The Dark Knight but now he's just everywhere since breaking out into the mainstream movies. So to see Bale as the third movie incarnation of John Connor is pretty exciting. Not to mention viewers will actually get to see the war between man and machine that's only been talked about in the past three movies and spin off television series. Plus the movie poster looks sweeeeeeeeeeet.


5. Star Trek

http://lifebrisbane.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/star_trek_2009_movie_poster_11.jpg

I'm not a Trekkie but this movie stands out as one of the most talked about projects coming out this year. The mindblowingly stunning special effects for this movie look so beautifully done and the crazy action that takes place is insane...and all this is just from the trailer alone. The movie looks like it'll be a great sci fi action blockbuster and is sure to build up Chris Pine's carreer. Also, I love Zachary Quinto (Sylar from Heroes) and am glad to see his big screen break as Spock. It just came out today; anyone wanna see it with me this week? Like tomorrow or the weekend?


6. The Brothers Bloom

http://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Brothers_Bloom/the_brothers_bloom_movie_poster.jpg

A movie that not many people might've heard of but judging from the trailer, it looks worthy enough to watch. It first got my attention when I was looking up projects that Rinko Kikuchi (the deaf-mute in Babel) was involved in. Throw in Adrien Brody, Rachel Weisz and Mark Ruffallo and you get what seems like a clever and funny movie.


7. Funny People

http://www.impawards.com/2009/posters/funny_people.jpg

Judd Apatow has produced some of the best comedy movies in the past few years. However, he has only ever directed two movies (The 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up) with Funny People being his third. For me; this looks like a really personal project not only to Apatow but to Adam Sandler because in a way, the character Sandler plays can be translated to Sandler's life. For me, Funny People will be for Adam Sandler what The Wrestler was to Mickey Rourke (still have to see this movie). Early reports have also said this movie MAY have a chance at the Oscars, though it's too early to tell. The trailer doesn't look too convincing in my opinion but I like to wait and see for myself. Plus Eric Bana returns to his comic roots in this movie!


8. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

http://roddysrockinreviews.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/2008-11-14-harry_potter.jpg

Warner Bros sure know how to milk a successful franchise don't they? I was a fan of HP (this includes actually reading the books too) back in the day and have actually watched all the movies leading up to Half Blood Prince. My interest in this isn't as high as the other films but because I've actually watched all the HP movies, I think I'll try to sit this one as well. Warner Bros have made so much money with the HP films and the success of The Dark Knight...lucky bastards. If only Fox can follow WB's success. The next HP film will be split into two (another way for WB to milk their franchise) and will use state of the art digital technology to make the actors look younger (just like The Curious Case of Benjamin Button).


9. The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3

http://www.impawards.com/2009/posters/taking_of_pelham_one_two_three.jpg

Denzel Washington is a phenomonal actor. John Travolta? Not as much (though he was bad ass in Pulp Fiction). I like seeing Travolta here though cause he plays the bad guy to a tee. I haven't been really anxiously wanting to see the film though I do consider it something to watch mostly because Washington is a great actor, this could be Travolta's comeback and Tony Scott made a movie I liked (Domino). The action looks good and I love me some action so I watch for me this season.


10. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

http://filmonic.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/ice-age-3-poster.jpg

One of my favourite films as a little kid so I'm showing support by seeing this next one. Although their not really living in the Ice Age anymore; I'd like to see how Manny, Sid and Diego (omfg I actually remembered their names!) "survive" the Dinosaurs. Just a fun kids film that doesn't need to be taken seriously.

___________________________________

Feel free to add your own list of movies you're looking forward too in the comments. YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE AN ACCOUNT TO COMMENT! :@

1 comment:

  1. Hendrik Lesmana7 May 2009 at 20:57

    how 'bout Angels & Demons?? can't wait for May 14th!!! ><

    ReplyDelete