Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket

Saturday, 20 March 2010

The Argument

Oh what an average and boring week at University this week. Nothing happened and there's nothing even remotely interesting to talk about, University wise, this week honestly. I think this just means I'm now getting assimilated into the University. Pretty soon it won't just be a new thing to me and will start to become mundane, haha. I just finished my first assignment. I had to write critical 1000 word analysis essay on "genre" for my Professional Writing subject. Regulated fun...the best kind.

I don't really like listening to music in the morning mostly because I've gotta carry around my Mixstyle headphones. I like my headphones, sure, but they're too much for me to carry around. Takes too much space in my bag and is sometimes annoying when I take it off. It rips the hair off my neck, haha. I need regular earphones for the sake of travelling.

http://www.exorcising-ghosts.co.uk/images/HM-Dance(UK)Paper.jpg

To combat this though, I've acquired a copy of Haruki Murakami's novel, "Dance Dance Dance". I've been wanting to read this book for a while and, if Hendrik is reading this, thanks again for lending it to me! Now I can look forward to reading this to and from Uni. I had this overwhelming feeling to re-read "Norwegian Wood" the other day but I'm gona save that for later in the year. I want to re-read it in time for the Japanese film (well whenever it releases on DVD here anyway). I hear the film is to be released sometime in December. Long, long wait.

------------



Oh hey look, Amanda Seyfried just took took part in a photoshoot with Esquire magazine. A really hot one! Check out the photos HERE if anyone is actually interested. I know I would be, haha. :D
____________________________________________________________

WHAT I'VE BEEN WATCHING

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/files/2009/05/6601_rebel_without_a_cause_jigsaw_puzzle_lg.jpg

This was James Dean's last film. I think he only starred in three films but the legacy he left behind was really impressive and has obviously made him an icon in Hollywood and acting today. I was really surprised to find that The themes and issues raised in "Rebel Without A Cause" are still relevant amongst teenagers today. After studying several elements of the film in the lecture, it made my understanding of the film and enjoyability of the film much greater. A good film that's kind of important in American cinema.


------------

http://infolab.stanford.edu/~prasanna/dmc/musical/high_fidelity.jpg

I saw a small cut of "High Fidelity" in my Screen Analysis tutorial and decided to check it out myself. The film looked interesting enough and as I was watching it, I found that I could relate a lot to this film. I didn't identify myself with any of the characters or anything but I did find myself identifying with what they said and things they talked about. It's also interesting to note that this film is heavy handed with awesome music choices (music is really important in this movie). I might check out the soundtrack a little later tonight. Having said that, the film is pretty enjoyable (at least from a guy's perspective it is) and I couldn't help but think of and compare "(500) Days of Summer" to this.


------------

http://www.goodisthenewbad.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/the_big_lebowski2.jpg

I also saw a short cut of "The Big Lebowski" in Screen Analysis and decided to investigate further. I've never seen the film in it's entirety and have seen bits and pieces of it but when i watched it the other day, I really enjoyed it. You can't go wrong with Jeff Bridges who was a perfect cast to play "The Dude". Quite a funny movie too with genuine laugh out loud moments for me. As absurd as the film's narrative may be, it's one that's really unique and kind of a trademark of the Coen Brothers.


------------

http://www.cartelia.net/fotos/b/blackhawkderribado.jpg

I'm a fan of Ridley Scott. I loved his films "Alien", "Gladiator", "American Gangster" and can't wait for "Robin Hood" later this year. Having said that, I decided to go back into his catalogue of films and watch "Black Hawk Down". I've kind of seen the film before but only as a youngster (bad parenting, obviously) so I couldn't really recollect everything I had previously seen. I saw it again and really liked it. I don't know what I thought of it back then but this time around I really enjoyed it. The movie is very well shot and has great cinematography and doesn't try to make the movie as some patriotic American flag raising symbol of pride (which is what I don't look for in war movies). Being that the film is a historical account, it has to play to the facts as closely as possible as they could (even though things had to be change in favour of the film of course). My favourite quote from that movie was from Eric Bana's character. It goes:
"Y'know what I think? Don't really matter what I think. Once that first bullet goes past your head, politics and all that shit just goes right out the window."

------------

http://moviecultists.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/green-zone-poster.jpg

I saw a lot this week didn't I? Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass have collaborated before on "The Bourne Supremacy" and "The Bourne Ultimatum" so when I was watching "Green Zone", I couldn't help but think this was what happened to Jason Bourne before he got his amnesia, haha. It looked decent and it was just that, decent. It's entertaining and somewhat compelling for the most part but I think the main problem with this film is that it's not really relevant anymore. The film is set during Bush's time as president and has a strong anti-"war on terror" agenda which deterred my viewing experience. It's not a bad film, just alright and watchable.

____________________________________________________________

TIDBITS OF FILM NEWS

tatumamerica.jpg picture by hieuyy

Earlier this week, Channing Tatum was considered for the role of "Captain America". Sure, Tatum's got the build for Captain America and look but I personally would not want him in that role. Captain America is more than a hero, he's an icon of American patriotism. He's the embodiment of American ideals and American values. If I wanted a Captain America, I'd want someone who can actually act as well, haha.

http://www.the-reel-mccoy.com/movies/2005/images/Fantastic4_1.jpg

Now it's being reported that Chris Evans has been offered the role of the First Avenger. The last comic book character he portrayed was Johnny Storm in "Fantastic Four" and his upcoming film, "The Losers" is also a comic book adaptation. He also voiced Casey in "TMNT", but I dunno if the Ninja Turtles originally began in comics or not. Chris Evans as Captain America is okay and I can kinda live with that but I still prefer someone more masculine for the role.

weavingskull.jpg picture by hieuyy

More "Captain America" news but I promise this will be the last one. Hugo Weaving has been confirmed for the role of Red Skull, the main villain of the film. I absolutely love this casting. Hugo Weaving is a great Australian actor and his evil portrayal of Agent Smith in "The Matrix" trilogy are probably the best part about those films. Plus his narration of anything is awesome (as evident in "The Lord of the Rings" and in the trailer for "Legend of the Guardians").

------------

http://www.efavata.com/CBM/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/DC_COMICS.jpg

Once the "Harry Potter" series dies out, what are Warner Bros going to do to make a boatload of money? Considering that Warner Bros pretty bought and own DC comic book characters for the screen, to fill in the void of "Harry Potter", they plan to look at the library of DC comic book characters and milk off of that. Is this even film news or did I already see this coming anyway. Fox have done that with Marvel characters for so long now. They never really had a tentpole franchise.

------------

predators_xlg

Ah yes, the full "Predators" movie trailer is here! It's not a sequel to the second or first "Predator" movie but is a completely different movie entirely, a sort of reboot of the franchise with a completely different story. The synopsis of the film reads like this:

Royce, a mercenary who reluctantly leads a group of elite warriors who come to realize they’ve been brought together on an alien planet… as prey. With the exception of a disgraced physician, they are all cold-blooded killers mercenaries, Yakuza, convicts, death squad members human “predators” that are now being systemically hunted and eliminated by a new breed of alien Predators.


This is going to be kick-ass.

____________________________________________________________

Now I dunno if this is going to seem funny to anyone but I got a good chuckle out of them and thought that they were majorly awesome. So with the said, I shall end tonight's post with the following finds of the week.


The Bounty Hunter Movie Poster (Boba Fett Edition)
I like Gerard Butler but even King Leonaidas himself has got nothing on the Fett. I'd totally see this movie, haha.

Batman Fighting a Shark with a Lightsaber
Why would Batman have a lightsaber and need to use it to fight off a shark? His leg looks anatomically incorrect as well.

End post.

3 comments:

  1. That chick has a nice curvy body.
    It's so unfair how white peoples' faces don't get fat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no problem, man. just call me when you want to read the rest of his novels. they're pretty much lying around in the shelf..

    and droooooooooool at amanda!!!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait how do they rip you hair out?? arent they just resting by your ears?
    ahaha

    i never noticed that amanda seyfried was the same amanda seyfried from mean girls!!
    wait, it is her, right?
    *confused*
    ahahaha ellens comment

    ReplyDelete