Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket

Sunday, 23 May 2010

The Final Countdown

This is going to be quite a lackluster blog post because I've been far too engaged with a certain game that was released this week. I've also been a bit preoccupied with University work which is why this week's post is very short (I do believe some people are crying out in joy at this moment). In any case, here's today's weekly post.

Nagase,  Masatoshi - SUICIDE CLUB A wave of unexplainable suicides sweeps across Tokyo after 54 smiling high school girls join hands and throw themselves from a subway platform into an oncoming train. The police are baffled as the bloodbath triggers waves of more suicides across the city. The only clues are a mysterious website keeping a morbid tally and the cryptic phone calls made by a child.

This next piece of information came to me on a Tuesday afternoon when I was browsing through JB Hi-Fi's DVDs (as I normally would).
I wasn't really looking for anything in particular but after rummaging through the Eastern Eye section of the store, I saw Japanese film, "Suicide Club". I've been interested in this film for quite some time and was somewhat discouraged to watch it when I found that it wasn't released in Australia (though pirated copies do run rampant, of course). I didn't want to download it either because part of me still felt apprehensive about watching an R rated film about grizzly suicides and murders. I have seen the infamous train jump scene on YouTube though - a scene in which 54 girls sing happily, join hands and then jump in front of a bullet train. Only in Japan could you get away with filming this. However, after seeing it on the store shelves as a new release, I felt more inclined to watch it and was somewhat delighted to see that amidst the film's controversy, a small film such as this, has been given a second chance and is being given more exposure. A lot of films get ignored and while I'm in no immediate rush to watch "Suicide Club", I'm hoping this could be the start to a few more great releases in World Cinema. NTS: Hieu, you still have to watch Sion Sono's "Love Exposure"!

------------
http://cache.g4tv.com/ImageDb3/149252_S/Red-Dead-Redemption-Screens.jpg

Guess who just bought themself a copy of 'Red Dead Redemption'? My god, I've been anticipating this game's release for so long and it's finally in my hands. The game does not disappoint but apparently, it looks a lot better on the 360 than it does on the PS3. I personally haven't found any major issues with graphics (perhaps odd glitches here and there) but the graphics have looked top notch to me so I'm not complaining. I'm mostly just loving the overall feel and gameplay. I'm still getting used to the controls and what not but I'm a few hours into the game and have had a lotta fun already. Can't wait to play more. I have a feeling that this game is going to completely devour my life which isn't good since I've got several assignments due in two weeks time.

_______________________________________________________________

WHAT I'VE BEEN WATCHING

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/2046-poster.jpg

While Wong Kar Wai's "2046" wasn't liked as much as I had hoped, I was still satisfied with what I watched.
I wasn't prepared to have "In the Mood for Love" strike me the way it did. I admit that the plot was what really hooked me into the film in the first place and it works really well as a standalone film. The cast is magnificent as always with Tony Leung, who once again, proves that he is a force to be reckoned with. I'm probably going to probe a lot deeper into Leung's acting career and see other films he's starred in cause I really do think he's one of the best actors of his generation. The marriage of cinematography, sound and the mise-en-scene is so sumptuous and satisfyingly rewarding. The movie switches narratives a lot. By this I mean, one moment you're seeing Leung's character sweet-talking Zhang Ziyi's character, the next you're in the fictional story of 2047 and then you're suddenly introduced to another character. However, they all do make some sense and it's a formula that one comes to expect in arthouse cinema. The moments when the film takes place during the fictional story, however, definitely looked like they were scenes taken straight from Ridley Scott's, "Blade Runner". This didn't deter my viewing experience, nor did it add to it. I just thought it reminded me of "Blade Runner" as I was watching it. I think what made me appreciate the film though was that it made me like "Days of Being Wild" and "In the Mood for Love" so much more. The opening scene of "2046" basically explained the ending of "In the Mood for Love" to me (thus radically making me appreciate "In the Mood for Love" so much more as I was left somewhat confused by the end of that particular film) and it was nice to see Carina Lau's character still feel the effects of her tumultuous relationship with Leslie Cheung's character in "Days of Being Wild". "2046" is far from perfect but is still an interesting piece of cinema, I felt. How awesome is the poster for this, by the way?



------------

http://bullshish.com/blog/pictures/veronicamarss1.jpg http://expectaculos.com/uploads/sopranos_poster6.jpg

So I didn't watch any films for Monday's cinema class but we were screened the pilots of "The Sopranos" and "Veronica Mars". I've never really checked out "The Sopranos" before and have heard so many good things about it too. I really want to check it out but don't want to download it because I don't want to download several a whole season of 20-something, one hour episodes. I'd rather use that for half hour shows (which I did for "30 Rock". Very happilly enjoying that series too). I was happy to see Amanda Seyfried in "Veronica Mars" on Monday morning too except I wasn't too happy about seeing her DEAD! Yeah, totally didn't see that coming. I can't unsee it now. There was something about "Veronica Mars" that made me shy away from it, though after watching that pilot episode, there does seem to be grounds for potential. Dunno if I'd follow it though.
_______________________________________________________________

There were a few newsworthy pieces this week but I couldn't be bothered naming them simply because I'm far too obssessed playing 'Red Dead Redemption' and watching '30 Rock' to be writing them down this week. So with that said, apologies to anyone who was actually looking forward to hearing about anything new in film world. Now to end today's a picture I've loved ever since I saw it some few months ago.


End post.

1 comment: