Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket

Sunday, 12 December 2010

Elephant Woman

My results for this semester of Uni were e-mailed to me on Tuesday evening and I'm so fucking happy to have passed Japanese by TWO MARKS! I really slacked off with it this semester but I'm SO lucky to have just narrowly passed. I think the cut off would've been 50 so you do the math, haha. Well, at least I get the credit points for it and don't have to worry about having that little blemish once I graduate with my degree, haha. I did pretty well in all my subjects this semester which is always great to find out too. I actually can't wait for next year because I won't have any exams and will (hopefully) enjoy all my subjects as they are cinema/media based. Go me! :D

------------


This is what an Asian Santa would probably look like.

On Wednesday I went down to Collins Street for some Christmas volunteering with VicDeaf, an organisation that aims to assist and support deaf adults in Victoria. My friend Angela had asked me to come along to do some Christmas wrapping and it was pretty fun. Anyone would come up to us and buy Christmas cards or get whatever they had on them to be wrapped as a present. I couldn't wrap a present for the life of me but got better with it as the day progressed. I'll be going back to volunteer again some more next week. Fun, fun, fun.

------------

http://www.massmoca.org/museum_images/493-eventpage-blonde%20redhead.jpg

This week I was introduced to an awesome band in Blonde Redhead thanks to a little twisted film called "Hard Candy" (thoughts on that can be found belowwww).
I find that my only avenue of discovering awesome music is through films and rightfully so, as most filmmakers use awesome material for their films. I discovered Placebo through "Cruel Intentions" (a film I should not have been seeing at the age I saw it at but whatever, boys will be boys), The Rolling Stones through anything Martin Scorsese has ever done and more recently, Metric through "Scott Pilgrim vs the World". Anyways, this band, Blonde Redhead, have apparently been around for a long while (their Wikipedia page says that their first studio album was released in 1995) and ZOMFG THEY ARE AWESOMEEEEEEEEE! Now I'm no music afficinado but from what I hear, their sound is like the lovechild of Radiohead and Placebo - instantly joyful to the ears. Why have I only been discovering awesome music NOW?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WHAT I'VE BEEN WATCHING

I know I was supposed to have a director's spotlight this week but because I've been making myself watch films again these past few weeks I've found that my interest has in watching films has come back! It seems as though I've found a balance between being a gaming nerd and being a movie nerd, haha. So having said that, I guess I'll be getting back into things with just regularly watching several films per week, lol.

------------

http://habitformingfilms.com/blog/wp-content/photos/hard_candy_poster.jpg

"Hard Candy"
, the feature film debut from director David Slade ("30 Days of Night", "Eclipse"), is a twisted yet delighful little gem of a film.
I've stated before numerous times before that I love films that primarily utilise minimalistic sets and this is exactly one of those films that builds is story predominantly around one location (in this case, a home). The film sees an purported pedophile, Jeff (Patrick Wilson), meeting up with 14 year old teenager, Hayley (Ellen Page), and leading her back to his home. However, once the sexual advances start to heat up, Jeff finds that the hunter becomes the hunted and that Hayley is not as innocent as she says she is. "Hard Candy" doesn't need to rely on cheap scares or gore to shock viewers and is not a horror film. It's a dark, psychological thriller that truly does a great job of building layers of tension and gripping you into the story - curious, yet afraid, of whatever may be around the corner.It really tests your moral compass and has you decide whether or not a man of Jeff's nature is deserving of the torture or punishment he is recieving. Ellen Page is brilliant in her role and is clearly having fun being the tormenter while Patrick Wilson is also very convincing whenever he shows fear or remorse for things he's done. Slade uses the camera in an uncomfortable way where he uses close ups on Hayley that nearly cover the whole screen, making you feel like as though you're in the Jeff's position - which I thought worked. The only thing I didn't like was the inclusion of an outside character that would've made this film near-perfect in my opinion. I highly recommend this film, the violence is not all too confronting (I was expecting something like "Saw" actually) and the pacing of everything is well directed. Can I have this on DVD now?



------------

http://www.traileraddict.com/content/the-weinstein-company/boy_a.jpg

Andrew Garfield is quite a talent. "Boy A" is a fantastic character study of a man who, after years of imprisonment and rehabilitation for a crime he commited as a child, is released back into society and tries to lead a normal life under a new identity. It's an interesting film in that we never actually see the crime being done and it's only eluded to in flash backs. The flashbacks themselves also help add depth to Garfield's character, showing his tragic backstory and making his journey of redemption so much more interesting. Along with Garfield is a great supporting cast that really elevates the emotional drama of the film but it's really Garfield who shines here as the man trying to assimilate himself back into society and struggling with his new found identity. It's no wonder he was chosen to play Peter Parker/Spider-man for the reboot (which is currently shooting right now), as this film has him battling two identities. Great film and it's no wonder he won the BAFTA award for Best Actor for this film (this information did come to my attention until AFTER I finished with the film - I mostly saw this due to Garfield's performance).

>
May I just say quickly, that this trailer is absolutely horrible. It pretty much shows you the whole film. Who cuts trailers these days? =="

------------

http://www.zdistrict.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/TronLegacyPoster.jpg

With the impending release of "TRON: Legacy", I thought I'd give the original "TRON" a go this week. While the film itself hasn't aged all that well, it's very acknowledgable just how unique the world of "TRON" actually is. The 3D animation itself is quite good (dated, but good) and I would imagine it to have been quite awe inspiring back in 1982. Having said that, other than the fact that a lot of thought went into the design process of making the digital world and that the animation itself is good, there really isn't a lot going on for "TRON". The acting is quite hammy and the story is a little muddled (the first few minutes of the film left me scratching my head, wondering "What's going on?"). It's no surprise that the character of Kevin Flynn (a young Jeff Bridges) is transported from reality into the digital world but when he reaches it, he never really takes the time to question his surroundings and question how or why he got there. He just kinda goes along with everything (like only The Dude can, of course!). It's a decent movie but not the best and it's understandable why it's remained such a cult favourite for so long.


------------

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/tron-legacy-poster.jpg

I saw "TRON: Legacy" on Friday night and thought it was an okay film, not particuarly great in terms of story and character but amazing in it's visuals. Around this time last year, a similar film that saw a character visit a heavily detailed CGI world was awarded with numerous Academy Award nominations and was met with a huge box office success. I doubt that "TRON: Legacy" will have the same amount of crazy success that "Avatar" had but I do wish for it to at least break even (though that does seem to be a considerably difficult task). Anyways, as for the film, let's just say that compared to the first film, it's somewhat similar and feels more like an alternate retelling of the original. Like his father, Sam (Garrett Hedlund) too just accepts that he's on The Grid and goes along with whatever's happening, never questioning his surroundings or people's motives. As I said previously, this film isn't particulary awesome but the visuals and soundtrack are pretty noteworhy. The 3D itself doesn't quite work as well as I would have hoped but I guess that's what you get for a post-converted film. Not a paticularly strong film but great on the visuals.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

TIDBITS OF FILM NEWS

http://images.hollywood.com/site/golden-globes2009.jpghttp://tv.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/screen-actors-guild-awards.jpg

This past week, the nominees were announced for both the 68th Annual Golden Globes as well as the 17th Annual Screen Actors Guild Award. Click the links provided above to check out who got nominated. While the Golden Globes may be a poor man's Oscar, there's no denying that it is a very strong indicator as to who may or may not win come the Academy Awards. The Screen Actor's Guild is more prestigous in that this event is about actors recognising and awarding their fellow peers and is a great indicator for acting nods. This year's Golden Globes seem to be a bit of a joke though, especially with the Best Picture - Musical and Comedy category. People also seem to be saying that Leonardo DiCaprio got snubbed for his work in "Inception" and/or "Shutter Island" but my understanding is that he played two very similar characters so that wouldn't really allow him to get in (not taking away both performances as they are good, they're just too similar to each other). I also don't understand why the "Inception" cast didn't get a nod for Best Ensemble because the cast is damn stacked with great talent... oh well. Exciting times in Hollywood right now.

------------


totalfilm:  Al Pacino and Joe Pesci confirmed for The Irishman Al Pacino and Joe Pesci will join Robert De Niro in crime drama The Irishman. Directed by Martin Scorsese, Irishman will be De Niro’s ninth time working with the legendary auteur, and finds the actor playing renowned Mafia hitman Frank ‘The Irishman’ Sheeran. Both Pacino and Pesci were rumoured to be involved, but De Niro confirmed it once and for all during an interview with MTV. “We do have the one that we’re definitely doing,” he told them. “Me, Joe Pesci, Pacino and Marty Scorsese directing.”

This right here is some major news. Robert De Niro confirmed that he will most definitely be working once again with long time collaborator, Martin Scorsese, for crime film "The Irishman". De Niro also confirmed that Joe Pesci and Al Pacino are also on board to work on the film. This will be the ninth collobration between De Niro and Scorsese, the fourth collaboration between Pesci and Scorsese and amazingly the first collaboration between Pacino and Scorsese. Upon hearing this news, I think the world imploded.

------------

totalfilm:  First Fast Five image arrives The first image from Fast & Furious sequel Fast Five has cropped up online. Featuring Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson in what looks like a very terse exchange, it’s about as beefy as an army of McDonalds quarter pounders. And then some.  Obviously The Rock would beat his candy ass back into the Smack Down hotel. In other news, I don’t care for this film. :O

Need a shot of adrenaline? The first trailer for "Fast Five", the fifth installment in "The Fast and the Furious" franchise arrived this week and promises more of the same: cars, girls and explosions. The original cast is joined by newcomer (I say newcomer because he's new to the series) as an agent hunting down Dwayne "The Rock" JohnsonVin Diesel and Paul Walker. Oh and for people who are confused about the timeline of the films, it's 1, 2, 4, 5, 3. A sixth film is in the works also.



------------

Edgar Wright's movies, including Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Do you like the films of Edgar Wright? If so, I suggest you check out this video compilation that brings together all three of his feature films, "Shaun of the Dead", "Hot Fuzz" and "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World". It's a great video, honest.



------------

Speaking of video compilations, below you will also find two video compilations of the films of 2010. Check them both below and enjoy the ride that 2010 had to offer.




_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And that is all this week! I'll be posting up personal favourite ten films of the year next week. In the mean time, I came across this awesome video this week of the "Super Mario Bros" as imagined through "Grand Theft Auto" and it is hilarious. There are a few references to films and other things in the video which are golden. My favourite one is the "Bad Boys 2" one cause it's essentially every Michael Bay film in a three second shot. Check it out and have a safe an awesome Christmas, guys.


End post.

3 comments:

  1. I watched Hard Candy in the middle of reading your blog, haha.
    Thats what I'd call a 'feel-good-movie" (assuming he was actually guilty)
    Must've been difficult watching the castration scene ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love finding music through films! its such a feel good thing!

    and ooh~~ you volunteer at the coolest places~~ youre so sweet!

    ugh ive been meaning to watch hard candy for years and now youve reminded me and im on break so i must get at it!!

    tron was soooooooo pretty!!!!! and olivia wilde is so cute and sexy! and the ladies in white! *drool* ahaha XD i have to watch the original but im afraid of being uber disappointed D:

    and woah~~~ up to 6 fast and furious?? hee~~ will never get tired of it XD

    ********
    so did you get what you wanted for christmas??
    oh and, merry christmas :D

    i have no idea how your school system runs XD but my break started last friday :3

    can i get a prize if i do get through all yer films? XD

    oh did you know theres a spiderman musical??? :D

    yes! they filmed it in my city! and i never went! my friend did though and got a cool picture of it though XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha congrats on passing your Japanese exam!
    I think it's cool how you do volunteer work (Y)

    Hard Candy looks interesting. Ellen Page looks really different with short hair - I recently saw Whip It.

    I haven't seen Tron yet, but it took me a while to realise that it's digital world was in Kingdom Hearts II. (No wonder why it look so familiar)
    1982 Tron looks like it's one of those 80s-90s documentaries you would watch in school.

    ------------------------------------

    There is seriously a lot of sex in Skins. Watch the pilot to see if it's to your liking.

    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, was that any good?

    Don't watch Heroes season 3&4, I think it will ruin it for you...unless you're curious about what happens. And lol yeah it's true there was a kiss. (Haha really? That's awesome, what did you have to do to win?)


    Hope you had fun today! :)

    ReplyDelete