Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket

Saturday, 19 March 2011

Please Mr Postman

Hello friends.

Another short post this week because I've really gotten lazy with writing substantial posts lately. That and I'm also capped (which is kind of impossible for my plan but whatever) which also means it takes a while to load pages for images and videos etc.

------------



Another fine addition to the Blu-Ray collection with "Summer Wars" being added this week. You may remember this Japanese animated feature as one of my favourite films from last year. I recommend you all check it out if you haven't done so already.

------------

Handed in my seven page screenplay this week and was extremely dissatisfied with what I wrote (seriously it's quite bad). Let's just see how the assessment goes.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WHAT I'VE BEEN WATCHING


Yes, I only saw one movie this week. Shocker!

http://www.blogomatic3000.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/battle-los-angeles-poster.jpg

Battle: Los Angeles is a film that follows a platoon of marines who pretty much try to hold off an invasion of aliens. There's really not much to the film. No real substance or depth in terms of story and characterisation. Characters are cardboard cutouts of already existing archetypes seen in this type of film and the story really has no relevance. Don't even get me started on the constant shaky-cam use (oh look, we're a war film so adding a shaky camera and zooming in a lot makes it seem more realistic and intense!). Still, it's better than last year's alien invasion film, "Skyline". The action at least was handled pretty well and at times felt quite invigorating. The marketing guys did a great job of selling this film. It's a pass.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

TIDBITS OF FILM NEWS


http://thecia.com.au/reviews/b/images/bridesmaids-poster-0.jpg

Second full trailer for "Bridesmaids". All the praise I've been hearing about this film has made me quite excited and while the trailers haven't really convinced me (they've made me slightly chuckle but not laugh too much) I'm still looking forward to it.



------------

http://nerdbastards.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/darren-aronofsky-wolverine-superman22.jpg

Bummer. Darren Aronofsky, director of such films as "Requiem for a Dream" and "Black Swan" has pulled out from the directorial chair of "The Wolverine", sequel to the mediocre "X-Men Origins: Wolverine".

------------

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cFTDCE-XihA/TX_52l-2jjI/AAAAAAAAE0g/mhzksDA2glg/s1600/david-slade-daredevil.jpg

Meanwhile, David Slade, director of such films as "Hard Candy" (good film) and "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" (bad film) has signed on to direct Marvel's reboot of "Daredevil". Here's an unpopular opinion: I'm probably in the minority here but I actually liked the original film with Ben Affleck.

------------

http://images.smh.com.au/2011/03/18/2239499/art_michael-gough-420x0.jpg

And in sadder news actor Michael Gough, most famous for portraying the butler, Alfred Pennyworth, throughout Tim Burton's and Joel Shumacher's Batman films, passed away this week. Whenever I think of Alfred, I think of him and while all the actors for Batman have constantly kept switching, his role as Bruce's confidant always remained the same which made him the most familiar to remember. I'd prefer him than Michael Caine any day.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And that's all this week. You guys like Simon Pegg and Nick Frost? You know, the duo who've starred in such films as "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz" as well as the soon to be released in Australia sci-fi/comedy/road trip movie "Paul"? Here's a video of them re-enacting a scene from "Star Wars" with hilarious results.



End post.

2 comments:

  1. HEYYYYYY DUDE - Battle: Los Angeles looks awesome! I really want to see it. I watched Adjustment Bureau the other day and it was pretty good - though a part of me was hanging out for something intensely better resolution-wise. Hope things are great in your end of town!! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of weird films coming out this year. I don't think Bridesmaids is coming out in May over here :(
    (the red is really harsh on the eyes)

    ReplyDelete