Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket

Sunday, 27 March 2011

The Trumpet In My Head

HEY FRIENDS!

So on Thursday I was pretty excited to begin the video shooting aspect of one of my media-based subjects and had fun with it. It's a sort "identity and belonging" kind of thing that I have to do for this subject so I chose to document arcade gamers. A friend of mine just happens to fancy himself as an arcade gamer so I was fortunate enough to have the camera follow him to the Time Out arcade in Box Hill. Got a lot of good shots I reckon. Will be editing it all next week (got 18 minutes worth of footage which is a little too excessive for what I was doing but whatever, as long as I KNOW I can cut that down to a 2 minute piece, I'm happy).

------------

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/postrock/LykkeLi-2398WP.jpg http://www.livemusicguide.com/cp/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/imagemanager/files/lissie3.jpg

Artist spotlights! Been listening to a lot from two very different singers this past week. In the red corner, we have Swedish indie darling, Lykke Li. And in the blue corner we have American folk rocker Lissie. Really digging their sounds. Perhaps you guys ought to give them a try and see if they're to you're liking. Just a suggestion.




I love Kid Cudi but I reckon her cover is better than the original. It's her voice.

------------


Bought the CD to The Last Shadow Puppets' album, "The Age of the Understatement". Seriously a damn good album that needs to be experienced on a nice stereo system for all to hear and enjoy. Quality stuff, guys.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

WHAT I'VE BEEN WATCHING

The following two films were films that I had to watch for my research assignment in one of my cinema subjects at uni. I'm going to have to present it on Monday with my group and it's about films of the Cold War. Quite interesting stuff actually.

------------

http://www.doctormacro.com/Images/Posters/M/Poster%20-%20Manchurian%20Candidate,%20The_01.jpg

"The Manchurian Candidate" is a 1962 film that sees a former solider in the Korean War become brainwashed by Communists into becoming a political assassin and it's up to one of the men who served under him to save him before he can do harm back home. I guess what makes this film such a classic amongst film-goers is the fact that it's so an incredibly smart political thriller that features a story that not only was enthralling but was also spoke volumes of the American political landscape within that time (which is quite interesting if one were to learn more about it). The performances all around are great although there was something about Frank Sinatra's role that put me off his character a bit. One cannot speak of this movie and not mention the acting prowess of Angela Lansbury in the film. As the manipulative and vindictive mother of Sgt. Robert Shaw (Laurence Harvey) she plays the part with such menace. This is woman that I've grown up to know as kindly and humble so to see her in this against-type role was a wonder. I really enjoyed this film, moreso than I imagined. And I'll tell you now, the ending of this movie is absolutely a shocker - one of the best endings to a film that I've ever seen.



------------

http://www.horrorphile.net/images/invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-movie-poster1.jpg

At first glance, "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" may seem like a silly B-grade movie and for all intents and purposes, it kinda is. But it's been highly regarded as a classic not only because it was a crucial commentary on the mass hysteria of American citizens during the Cold War but is also a good straight-up science fiction feature. The film is simple enough in plot and is very easy to follow although, at least for this viewer, the film dabbled in exposition a bit too much in the early stages of the film. However, after that minor hiccup, the film does pace itself quite nicely and works well as a sci-fi thriller all the way through. The other thing that had annoyed me was the ending. It felt too rushed and felt a little cheap but I guess they had to speed things up for the production budget's sake. It's a nice little film, not as serious as "The Manchurian Candidate", but it's science fiction in it it's most purist form.


___________________________________________________________________________________________________

TIDBITS OF FILM NEWS

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Entertainment/images-6/elizabeth-taylor.jpg

We begin this section with some sad news. Hollywood screen legend, Elizabeth Taylor, passed away this week and left behind a legacy and wealth of films. Her passing is a sudden reminder of how beloved the Golden Era of Hollywood was and how the Hollywood-produced films of today don't quite measure up to the timelessness of most of the old classics. I should probably get itno some of Liz Taylor's films...

-----------

http://www.comicsbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/captain-america-poster.jpg

The first full theatrical trailer for "Captain America: The First Avenger" does not disappoint. I'm anticipating this much more than Thor now (is it because I have a thing for period pieces too?)



------------

http://www3.images.coolspotters.com/wallpapers/37913/juno-temple-v1-mobile-wallpaper.jpg

And rounding up the comic book film news, Juno Temple has now joined the already stacked cast of "The Dark Knight Rises". Okay so let's get things cleared here: Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Anne Hathaway, Marion Cotillard and now Juno Temple are all confirmed for the the third of Nolan's Batman films. Wow.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

And that's it this week. So by now I'm sure you've noticed that it's not deathly red anymore. I got annoyed by it for a long while as did some readers but being the lazy bastard I am, I kept forgetting to change. So yeah, watch this space because I'm gonna change the banner and stuff real soon (currently using an old banner of mine which I actually quite liked).

Anyways take care and be safe.

End post.

1 comment:

  1. Current banner looks great! Did you draw it all on the computer...?
    And I quite like your music taste. Suggest more songs in future posts please? :)

    ReplyDelete