Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket

Sunday, 4 September 2011

It's On

Hi everyone!

http://www.astor-theatre.com/images/in-line/posters/postersA/apocalypse-now-ver3.jpg

Quick question: Should I watch "Apocalypse Now's" original cut or the newer Redux version? I really want to watch this movie but I have no idea which version I should because I hear talk that both films are radically different from each other. Anyone with some perspective on the matter should let me know either through the comments section below or through my Formspring or Tumblr. Cheers.

------------

Anyways, Manifest is long gone and everything's back to being insanely boring again. Boooooo. So boring that I had to skip out on a friend's birthday (an awesome 1950/1960's themed one at that!) to catch up on some homework. Lame, lame, lame. Speaking of catching up on homework, I also have a folio for one of my media subjects to catch up on too. Work, work, work. No more Starcraft 2, Hieu!

------------

Oh but that's gonna be hard to not ignore video games seeing as how some amazingly awesome games will be releasing in the next upcoming months. On my wish list right now are:

  • Batman: Arkham City
  • Uncharted 3: Drake's Fortune
  • Battlefield 3
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
  • ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection

And on top of that other things on my wish list also include:

  • Shiina Ringo/Tokyo Jihen CDs and DVDs (although this is an ongoing thing so it'll be a while before I can be satisfied with the amount of official products I have of hers)
  • "The Lord of the Rings: Extended Editions" on Blu-ray (because one does not simply walk into Mordor without having seen the extended journey on 1080p high definition)
  • "In the Mood for Love" - Criterion Collection DVD (because just look at the gorgeous cover art and the wealth of bonus content that someone like me will mentally fap over! Too bad I gotta double dip since I already have the AUS DVD)
  • ALL Pixar films on Blu-ray (okay, maybe not all... don't really need "Cars")
  • "Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance" on Blu-ray (cause Evangelion is the the bomb and I need to witness it again in HD)
So yeah, that's gonna be a lot of money down the drain right. Where's my job at?

------------

And look what I ordered this week!
http://www.myteespot.com/images/Images_d/img_VyK7kl.jpg

The awesomeness is going to just drip off of me once I wear this amazing piece of swag. Hopefully it comes sometime this week or next. :D
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WHAT I'VE BEEN WATCHING

http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1020/142705.1020.A.jpg

I was meant to have seen "Sunset Boulevard" last year since it was a film that was included on one of my subjects last year. The film follows a B-movie screenwriter working for a former silent movie star, now faded into obscurity, to write a new movie for her comeback. Much has been said about this classic and it truly stands as one of the best films of that time as well as being an important film for American/Hollywood cinema. The film itself is highly critical of the Hollywood dream factory and is one of the first of it's kind (although yes, there have been previous films critical of Hollywood such as "What Price Hollywood?" and "A Star Is Born") to have done so in a manner that was dark yet poignant. Gloria Swanson's turn as Norma Desmond is fantastic - adding healthy doses of comedy and drama to her tragic character. Her character is just over the top and some might be turned off by the exaggeration but I for one loved it. I really enjoyed "Sunset Boulevard" and agree that it's a film for the ages.

------------

http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1020/143610.1020.A.jpg

This is a film that I've always wanted to see but after seeing it, I kinda felt like it was rather underwhelming. I also feel the need to read the book after watching the film itself. "The Maltese Falcon" is a noir film that sees Sam Spade, a private detective, take on a case that involves him with three eccentric criminals, a gorgeous liar, and their quest for the statuette. Unfortunately, the ending of the film was spoiled for me some time ago during a "Chinatown"/film noir lecture I attended at ACMI so that might be a factor as to why I felt the film was underwhelming. I also couldn't really follow the dialogue all that well because I felt like Bogart, as crazy cool as he is, delivered his lines a bit too quick. I missed quite a few tidbits here and there which, in the end, made me kinda lost with where the film was going at times. I may have to see it again but it didn't really do it for me as much as "Sunset Boulevard". But man, this is my Humphrey Bogart film and I'm so interested to see more of his work.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

TIDBITS OF FILM NEWS

Two big pieces of news that mattered to me this week!
http://whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/josh-brolin-oldboy.jpg

First off we have the announcement that Josh Brolin has been cast to play the protagonist in Spike Lee's remake of one of my personal favourite films ever, "Oldboy". I can't say that I'm upset with this decision mostly because I'm not well accustomed to the work of Josh Brolin (or Spike Lee for that matter). Although I will say that Brolin looks like he could do the Daesu role and from what I have seen of Brolin's work, I do think he'll be able to make the character his own and possibly bring the same level of intensity that Choi Min Sik brought. Now we just need to make Christian Bale the villain and everything will be awesome.

------------

http://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads//2011/05/star-wars-complete-570x642.jpg

The second big piece of news are the audio changes that George Lucas has added to the impending release of the Star Wars saga on Blu-ray. The clips can be found below and all I can say is, "Really George?" The change to Obi-Wan is so laughably bad that I can't express anything other than sheer disdain for it while the addition of "Nooooo!" to Darth Vader's redemption is not only cheesy but loses the impact of Vader's return to the light side of the Force. It's in that moment that you're unsure whether or not he will attack the Emperor and the emphatic "Noooo!" makes the scene less powerful and really destroys it. Ugh, just leave it alone George. Please.


------------

http://static.moviefanatic.com/images/gallery/martha-marcy-may-marlene-international-poster_400x592.jpg

And one last thing for this section but here's a beautiful poster and brand new trailer for Sundance darling, "Martha Marcy May Marlene". I hope it gets a theatrical run in Australia, perhaps sometime early next year. I've heard so many good things about it and am sorely disappointed that I didn't catch it at MIFF this year. But seriously, that poster! I'm still flabbergasted as to how amazing it looks!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And that's all for tonight's blog post. You guys totally want to see a Funny or Die video with Don Cheadle turning everyone into trees right? And you totally want to see Gillian Jacobs from "Community" and Disney Queen Brenda Song as planteers right? Of course you do. :D


End post.

No comments:

Post a Comment