Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket

Sunday, 12 February 2012

Our Deal

HEY HEY.


On Saturday I was at the Japanese Summer Festival to my volunteer my time to lend a helping hand in guiding people around. It was a pretty nice gig - got to a hang out with a friend of mine (she wanted someone to volunteer with and I said I'd be interested) and enjoy a pretty fun festival. The job was simple too which is always good. I sure volunteer for a lot of things...

------------

MY SCOTT PILGRIM COMIC BOOK COLLECTION IS NOW COMPLETE

Look! My order for the final three "Scott Pilgrim" books arrived in the mail this week! I look forward to finishing off the rest of the series (which so far has proven to be better than the film and a lot different too!). I will start it up again once I finish reading "Battle Royale" (which so far has been nothing short of exciting - VERY HARD TO PUT DOWN!).
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WHAT I'VE BEEN WATCHING


I wrote another fully written review this week! This time it's for the magnificent film "Shame"! If you're keen on reading what I had to say, head on over to Mark Battistella Films and check it out for yourself!


------------

http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/hunger_ver2.jpg
  • Interesting choice in direction by director Steve McQueen.
  • The film could have easily gone through a whole number of interpretations but McQueen chooses to go for an approach that, by the end of it all, comes off as a masterful stroke of artistry.
  • Sands’ death is rather beautiful in a strange way.
  • Being that the story of Bobby Sands is true, one that might not be known all around the world, McQueen chooses to focus his attention on both the prison that housed the IRA and on the hunger strike that Sands and his inmates partook.
  • Less an autobiographical tale and more a character study, I feel.
  • And what’s a good character study without a good actor to bring that character to life.
  • Michael Fassbender’s performance is charged with such quiet intensity - truly magnificent and utterly dedicated to the role.
  • Comparisons to Christian Bale in The Machinist are more than appropriate as Fassbender, under careful medical supervision, starves himself for the sake of the film.
  • A quiet film with a lot to say.

------------

  • Did not find it all that funny.
  • I mean I chuckled here and there but it wasn’t as hilarious as a lot of people make it out to be.
  • I got really bored after the walk-off.
  • Super unpopular opinion here but I just didn’t think it was good.
  • Now can someone explain to me why a film like Anchorman made me laugh much more than this?
  • I mean both are completely stupid films but I think it’s Will Ferrell’s commitment to Ron Burgundy that makes all his time on screen to be hilarious (just answered my own question, I think).
  • With Ben Stiller’s Derek, I just could not give a crap about him - there was nothing about the character that I liked and I never found him to funny at all.
  • Going around in circles here, I’ll just stop.

------------

  • Terribly slow film and very disjointed in terms of pacing as certain characters aren’t given enough time to develop or have their individual stories cut off.
  • But that doesn’t really matter because the film is still rather enchanting in a strange way.
  • Nothing about the film is remarkably special and yet there’s a pull behind it that makes the film all the more captivating.
  • This is pretty much due in fact to the way in which the film is directed.
  • Hiroshi Ishikawa shows us life in all it’s mundaneness with his choices in cinematography (all of which are quite lovely to see).
  • I swear you would’ve thought that someone just followed a bunch of women around Tokyo and edited together a film out of it.
  • The realism and the degree of veracity behind it is what makes the film uniquely outstanding.
  • And the themes that are evoked from the film - loneliness, aspiration, depression etc. - are all what help give the film a sense of personality - drawing you into the lives of these six individual women.
  • In the end the problems with the film can be forgiven due to the way in which Ishikawa moves the film, allowing the characters to just simply "live" rather than give them situations to overcome.
  • They just live.
  • Beautifuly poignant and quite comparable to Maboroshi no hikari, another fantastic Japanese film of a similar nature.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

TIDBITS OF FILM NEWS


Look alive guys, it's the new trailer for "The Amazing Spider-Man"! It's a lot different to the first trailer that was released some time last year and offers up a more grand and epic scope for the film rather than probe into the more "emotional" aspects of the film. Also, Garfield's wise-crack at the car thief while in costume was spot on to how I'd imagine that line to be delivered.


------------


And if you're a fan of the Bourne series, here's the trailer for "The Bourne Legacy" which is being taken over by Jeremy Renner. Also, I did not know that Edward Norton was in this so all of a sudden I'm interested in this (I haven't seen the third film and can barely remember what happens in the first and second film... so needless to say not a huge fan of the series by any means).

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This week's blog post title comes from a track by indie/surf-rock band, Best Coast. The video for their song (embedded below) stars Chloe Grace Moertz, Tyler Posey, Alia Shawkat, Donald Glover, Miranda Cosgrove and Shailene Woodley and is directed by Drew Barrymore.

I really want to see the full short (runs at ten minutes, from what I hear) but this is the best I could find. I remember catching wind about this video at the time of it's release but couldn't find a copy of it to watch because it was unavailable in Australia (which is pretty stupid if you ask me).

But as always, I'll leave it right there and let you guys enjoy some easy-going tunes. Have fun and be safe. Ciao.


End post.

2 comments:

  1. hey! i went to the Jap festival too! just couldn't believe the Yukata along with the belt was about $70-$90. frick, i was down for $50, but i bought it anyway. T___T lolol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably a good purchase any way! I would've bought one too if it weren't for the fact that I had no money on me. They had some nice designs. D:

      Delete