Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket

Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Passage

Hello friends and lovers.

Sorry for not updating over the weekend. I spent the whole weekend writing up my final assignments for the semester and finished everything on Monday afternoon. The assignments weren't due until next week but I've got way too many things planned next week so I figured I'd get them all out of the way now instead of doing it bit by bit like I normally do. The fact that I was able to finish three essays in three days though is pretty impressive in itself. I'm surprised I pulled it off to be honest.

------------

You know how I've been talking about a little documentary I made for university? Well it's actually done. Well... kinda. I mean we still have some minor things to fix up but it's essentially finished it, along with the other documentaries produced by other groups this semester, were screened in class. Some great work by everyone in the class! I was a bit nervous about how our film would be received but everyone seemed to really dig it (or they're just being nice out of pity, haha). I'm just happy this whole ordeal is over now. We have a public screening of it sometime soon in the city.

------------

Multiply number of people + boxes by 500 and you get how BIG this sale was.

I've been trying to save up on my money but it seems the powers that be have other plans for me. Madman Entertainment had a huge warehouse clearance sale on Saturday - a sale that I only caught wind of during last week on their Twitter. They had a bunch of stock that they needed to get rid of since they were going to be moving from Collingwood to Richmond (not far at all really). I expected it to be a pretty big turnout and I was right. The sale started at 8.00AM - my mate and I got there at about 7.30. The line wasn't too long when we got there which was fortunate for us as we were part of the group that we're able to get in first. In my head, I imagined it all to be chaotic with people fighting over films and such but it was very orderly and civilised! Well done to us customers!


It was pretty amazing just seeing how much was made available to us but I kinda had an idea of what I wanted to get. I walked away with quite a lot - more than what I had anticipated. As you can see above, those were all the purchases made. I think the original retail price for all of these items would come somewhere between $400 - $450 (I cross checked it against prices at retail stores online after the sale) but I managed to get it down to $180. I think I could've haggled it down even further if I wanted to but I was just caught up in the hysteria of it all that I just said, "YES!" So yeah, this pretty much made my month.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WHAT I'VE BEEN WATCHING

Lucky for you, I didn't watch anything this week (or maybe unlucky?). I swear, I'll get back to regular viewing consumption once uni's finished for the semester (I still have a test on Friday for which I'm probably gonna just scrape for the passing mark).
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

TIDBITS OF FILM NEWS


You like movie trailers? Well here's the trailer for Baz Lurhmann's intereptation of "The Great Gatsby". My thoughts? This is not what I expected. I've never read the novel BUT I can definitely say that this is not the movie. I dunno, maybe I just thought that this would be more "Gone with the Wind". On top of that... Kanye West. Um, what? The trailer for "Gangster Squad" trailer was kinda ruined by Jay-Z and now this is kinda ruined cause of Kanye West. Who okay'd this? Oh well. It looks flash, as any Lurhmann project tends to look. I'd still check it out though.


------------



Speaking of all things Dicaprio related, some new stills from Quentin Tarantino's upcoming film, "Django Unchained" were made public this week. I still can't get over Dicaprio's overall swagger in these images. He just looks like such a douche but in a good way (if that's possible). Yeah, put my ass in the seat for this one.

 

------------


Anyone here a fan of Wong Kar-wai? No? Just me you say? I'm sure there's more of you out there, you're just not reading this blog. Well anyways, a teaser trailer for a short he's doing called, "Dejavu" which is for the scotch whiskey brand, Chivas Regal was released this past week and wow. Just wow. Pure Wong at work here. The whiskey pouring into the glass and onto the ice is reminiscent to how he chose to photograph vanilla melting over pie in the opening credits of his American film, "My Blueberry Nights". Anyways, can't wait for this one.


------------


And finally here are some fantastic new banners for "The Dark Knight Rises". If this doesn't feel like the end of an era, I don't know what does. They're clearly going all out on this film and the banners and trailers have shown that so far. If you're gonna go out, go out big. Good stuff.

 
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And that's all this week. The title for this blog post comes from Exitmusic's new LP, "Passage". It's a fantastic listen - very ethereal if you ask me. Aleksa's vocals are hauntingly beautiful as is the music itself. So much to love. I should probably import the album since it most likely isn't sold here.


End post.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, i put a link to your blog in my blog. Hope that's okay...
    By the way I actually REALLY love the way Baz Lurhman is doing the Great Gatsby. Coming from someone who has read the book, he's completely outdone my own goddamn imagination. I frankly love the modern and chic style he adds to it, kinda like Romeo and Juliet.

    Btw....I don't think anyone else could have played Gatsby better than freaking Leo too. I just think he's got the eyes to portray gatsby's emotional pain. PERFECT CHOICE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like you had a good haul at the sale hieu. nicely done :)

    great gatsby movie?? looks.... eh I dunno if I'll watch this. Same feeling as you.

    ReplyDelete