Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket

Monday, 29 October 2012

Sugar Man

Yo.

So now I'm actually free of all university duties. Handed in my remaining assignments today and am officially liberated of all university-related woes! I guess from here on out I kinda have to figure out what it is I want to do now but that's not a huge concern right now (it should be but I'm none too worried).
_______________________________________________________________

WHAT I'VE BEEN WATCHING

Keeping it real short with week's blog post so I don't overthink and get caught up in delaying the publish date for this blog post. So like, if you notice that the reviews aren't as long then you know why!


An excellent documentary. Searching for Sugar Man tells an incredible story about a musician who seemed destined to be a huge music icon but faded into obscurity, only to find out that his music had made it's way to South Africa and had a major influence there. Rodriguez is a fascinating character and his music is absolutely timeless. An enriching experience, I thought. I mean to actually know of Rodriguez's music now and to know how humble of a man he has remained is a really great thing. Don't miss this one.


------------


Oh man, was not expecting this film to go the way it was. Killing Them Softly takes place during the 2008 presidential campaign and is a very grim critique of America's business practices and the Great Financial Crisis (using crime as an allegory for America's economy, something America has done for years... well not the economy part but using crime as an allegory). Highly stylised and extremely smart, although a few instances where conversations could have been shortened so as to keep the momentum going. Also extremely well photographed. Quite impressive but can't help but feel underwhelmed for some reason. Maybe it was the hype? I shouldn't bring that into judgement though.


------------


A fun little indie film that's more than what it appears to be. A team of journalists answer an unusual classified ad requesting for a partner to travel back in time with. Safety Not Guaranteed is not a perfect film by any means, I mean there were a few things here and there that had me questioning characters' thinking process, but otherwise I thought it was a charming enough film with a heartfelt story. I mean the kind of ideas that it runs with has been done and done better before but that's not to say that this kind of story can't be done again and in a different angle. Kinda thought Aubrey Plaza was hit and miss in the film though.

_______________________________________________________________

Been really neglecting Tidbits of Film News but it's a section I've become a little less interested in including in this blog. I'll get back to it sometime, I'm sure (someone once said that I was their source of film news which was nice to hear, I think). Anyways, today's blog post title comes from Rodriguez himself (as you may have already guessed). He only has two albums but there's not a single bad song on each album. They're all extremely solid and well, I think I've spoken enough. Let the music speak for itself.


End post.

No comments:

Post a Comment