Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket           Photobucket

Monday, 10 March 2014

I Never Learn

Alright, alright, alright.

And here we are now in Autumn! JUST THREE MORE MONTHS UNTIL THE BEST SEASON OF THEM ALL: WINTER! 

------------

I got a new job recently working with ACMI (yes, the very place that I volunteered at for a long time!) and although it's a temporary role that'll only last six months (basically the duration of the new exhibition coming up), I'm pretty damn happy about it! Haven't started yet though. Now that I've got two casual gigs, I'm gonna have to learn how to juggle between the two.

------------


Got called in to donate blood the other day and instead of feeling woozy after donating, I instead decided to splurge. I rarely go out of my way to spend money (even though I'm not really saving towards anything) so I'm gonna chalk this up to poor decision making from blood loss. I needed new clothes anyway. The Blu-rays on the other hand? Not so much. I don't even know if To The Wonder was a good choice to have made but ah well. 

------------



Saw Dave Chappelle perform live at the Palais Theatre in St KIlda! What a great show that was, I couldn't stop laughing from all his jokes. I'd really love to see him again whenever he decides to come to Australia again (OR MAYBE I CAN COME TO HIM). Ugh, he's a genius of a comedian but he also smokes way too much (he finished a deck halfway into the show!).

------------

I've also caved in and joined the cult of Instagram! Don't expect too much from me there though. If anyone wishes to follow me, you can find me as @electrichieu. Do it! 

------------



Haven't spent too much time watching films (just television shows currently airing at the moment + WRASSLIN') lately as I've put my energy into finally playing the Mass Effect series of games. Finished the first game the other night and found myself quite enjoying it despite its shortcomings. Currently playing the second one and am enjoying it much more than the first game though I do miss the heavy RPG elements of the first. Solid stuff though. 

------------



Okay, I'll try to keep my post-Oscars thoughts short here. I thought Ellen Degeneres hosting a second time was decent but also painful at times cause she couldn't even get through the teleprompter a lot. She did bring a bit of fun though if only for that Twitter-breaking 'selfie' (which just had to crash Twitter as Lupita Nyong'o was giving her glorious speech). 


Speaking of Lupita, how amazing was she that evening? Her dress, her speech, HER EVERYTHING (talk about an actual Disney princess, wow). One of the most deserved wins of the evening. Matthew McConaughey winning was a bit of a shock to me only cause I felt so sure it would either be Chiwetel Ejiofor or Leonardo DiCaprio. I liked McConaughey in Dallas Buyers Club but think the latter two were much more powerful/memorable, especially Ejiofor. At least 12 Years A Slave won Best Picture and not a film that didn't deserve to - easily the best American film of 2013. 
_________________________________________________________________________________

WHAT I'VE BEEN WATCHING


TORSO + PETAL DANCE: Before you mosey on down to my thoughts on some of the films I caught at the cinemas, head on over to Japan Cinema to read my reviews for Yutaka Yamazaki's film, Torso, and Hiroshi Ishikawa's latest film, Petal Dance. Yamazaki is the long-time cinematographer of my favourite director working today, Hirokazu Koreeda, while Ishikawa has made films primarily putting women as the focus of his films. Both have interesting visions and while I did have a few problems with both directors' films (moreso with Yamazaki than Ishikawa) I still think they're fairly worthwhile viewings. 

------------


A TOUCH OF SIN: Was meant to have seen A Touch of Sin last year at MIFF but got the chance to see it during its season at ACMI. Wasn't really a huge fan of the film, I thought that whille some segments worked, others were lacking. It's also excruciatingly slow and quite an exhausting film to get through with one particular segment that could have been cut out altogether and the film's message (if there was even one to take away from it?) would have remained intact. For all its hype, A Touch of Sin, feels like blatantly cheap attempt of making a Kim Ki-duk film. Avoid. 

------------


BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOUR: It's been the subject of scrutiny ever since it won the Palme d'Or at Cannes but is Blue is the Warmest Colour a good film? I enjoyed it but perhaps not nearly as much as everyone else it seems. I really enjoyed Adele Exarchoupolos and Lea Seydoux's performances as the two dynamite actresses radiate with their furors of love. Despite being three hours, I really could have stayed for more cause Exarchoupolos just carried that movie like a troop. My problems stem with the nature of the relationship between their characters as it seems that their bond is built not out of love but out of sex which is really what dictates their relationship (and that seems to be what director Abdellatif Kechiche infers). Happy Together was a better movie.

------------


THE WIND RISES: You know how most of the world loves Hayao Miyazaki and believe he can do no wrong? Well he can and it comes in the form of his latest, The Wind Rises. While I went into the film not expecting the whimsy of his previous films (this is, after all a movie based on a real person) I didn't expect it to be awfully dry. In fact, it's so reminiscent to many other painfully average Japanese biopics that there really isn't much to separate Miyazaki's own from the many mediocre Japanese biopics out there. Oddly enough, the first half of the film is its most interesting. The second half? Not so much (forced romances almost never work in movies man, come on!). Disappointed. 
_________________________________________________________________________________

This week's blog post title is courtesy of Lykke Li and her brand new album, "I Never Learn", which comes out in May! I'm fairly sure the song I've embedded is the title track off the album but if not then no matter. Judging from this as well as the first single from the new album, "Love Me Like I'm Not Made of Stone", I expect to hear a really moodily rich album that SPEAKS TO MY SOUL. So, so good. Have both songs today! 



End post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment